There are lots of ways to change the world--pick one!

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

The Sojourn Cross . . . .



The following was written by Jonea Mohn, a member of the Sojourn Worship Team . . . .)

The Sojourn Cross

When I was asked to design and build the cross for Sojourn, I accepted feeling only a responsibility to serve.  Neither sculpture nor woodworking has been a focus of mine, but I am always up for a challenge.  My connection began when I began comparing planks of oak for tone and grain pattern.
 
Then the handcrafting began.  My husband, Jeff, routed the crux, and turned it over to me.  We laid thick blankets out to protect the planks, and I sanded the surface smooth.  I chiseled and turned and chiseled some more.  I hammered divots into the face, and pummeled the planks with bags of rocks.  Jeff carefully painted the grain with a dark stain, and then wiped it with a contrasting stain to accentuate the texture and “wounds”.   I, myself, suffered headaches from the constant “chink, chinking”, backaches from bending over for days, and a few finger injuries.  It was finished with just enough time to dry for the service, and I realized how much a part of me the cross had become; how much I loved it. It was difficult for me to give it away to those who might not understand it the way I do.
 
This was my lesson:  I know each part of that cross.  I know every chisel mark.  I carefully chose which would be shallow or deep, or long.  At times, the tools would slip and threaten to split the grain, but I would react quickly to control the damage.  I would create purpose out of what could have been disaster.  I examined it front to back, side to side, and considered all angles as I put my care into my creation.  When I cut into the surface, I worried over every grain pattern, knowing that if I chose the wrong angle, it could split the plank.  I had no desire to ruin that wood.  I winced every time the bag of rocks hit the surface, leaving indentions in the material that survived, but turned the rocks to sand.  I know every grain pattern.  It starts out slow and wide at the top, like a lazy river, and draws close and fast until the bottom few feet where the rapids break free into a playful tiger-oak.


The Creator carefully chooses the materials out of which we will be made, knowing our purposes and what we will have to withstand.  He has a vision for our end products.  He understands our grains, and loves our surfaces.  As he shapes us, He takes care that anything that happens to us is used for purpose and beauty.  His only desire is to protect us and hold us to Him.  When we are hurt, He hurts with us, but knows that He made us from materials to withstand the pain.  He holds us up before others, wounds and all, and says, “This is My creation!  I made it myself!” 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome your comments!